Cracked heels… are you suffering?
Here at our ACE chiropody clinic we treat cracked heels daily, we know this can be unpleasant and often embarrassing. Cracked heels can cause walking to become uncomfortable so it is essential you know how to deal with the problem promptly.
What are cracked heels?
Cracked heels are a very common condition. Often the skin on our feet becomes dry and begins to harden and thicken, the skin loses its elasticity causing the heels to split and crack becoming painful.
What causes cracked heels?
The risk factors listed can often encourage cracked heels to occur:
- Lack of moisture in the skin
- Increased Pressure
- Skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, athletes foot
- Diabetes/thyroid conditions
- Poorly fitting footwear
- Backless footwear
- Soaking your feet for long periods of time
Tips on treating your cracked heels
- Use a pumice stone or file to gently remove hard/dead skin.
- Use a urea based foot cream – Urea is a natural substance found in our skin, it’s role is to protect & hydrate skin cells.
- Wear properly fitted shoes and avoid backless sandals/flip flops.
- Wear cotton socks to allow your feet to breathe and soak up excess sweat/moisture.
- Avoid soaking your feet & staying in damp footwear/socks for long periods of time.
- Eat healthy & drink plenty of water.
How can we help?
If you are suffering with cracked, painful heels and struggling to treat them at home we can help. Our podiatrists are experts in providing treatment to safely remove the hard skin, treat painful cracks and help to establish the cause of your cracked heels. We can also advise on what you can do at home to care for your feet. TO BOOK IN WITH OUR SPECIALIST CLICK HERE
Flexitol – Platinum express 30% urea.
This can be bought in our online shop or at our ACE footwear shop which stocks a wide range of comfort footwear and foot health products.